Please give a warm welcome to Eleanor Mutare, who recently joined Viddyoze as a Senior Customer Service Advisor. She’ll be part of our support team, but also working closely with other departments to ensure that our valued customers are looked after. Here’s how she sees it.
Customer service is more than just following policy and procedure
I didn’t know this at the start of my career. I used to think that it was all about making sure you follow the book point by point. Now I know that good customer service is about creating rapport, ensuring that customers benefit from a personalized service, and safeguarding the business.
I stumbled into customer service
Originally, I was looking to get into fashion. I studied it and liked it – so, as you do, I started to look at fashion apprenticeships. I eventually found myself working at a fashion brand, but as part of the customer service team. And you know what? I loved it. The ability to brighten a customer’s day and make a difference, however big or small, was something I knew I wanted to continue doing.
A customer service advisor is a jack of all trades (in a good way)
We need to know all the key aspects of a business so we can help customers with any problems or queries they have – as thoroughly and quickly as possible.
Customer service is a fine balancing act
That means being familiar with everything, every department, everyone. Knowing as much as we can about the ins and outs of a business helps us be prepared for any situation.
The most rewarding part of my job is knowing that I’ve had a positive impact on someone’s day
The feeling I get knowing that I’ve helped solve a customer’s problem – and made them feel supported and valued throughout our interaction – is simply irreplaceable. No two days are the same and no two customers are the same. So, knowing that I’m able to make a notable difference in so many different ways is extremely fulfilling.
The most challenging part of my job is not being able to please everyone
Some outcomes may not be ideal for some customers. That’s just how it is sometimes. But we’re always trying to do our best, always trying to do everything within our power to provide the best service possible. And that’s not all. We’re always working hard on looking after the business, too. It’s a fine balancing act, but I’m getting better and better at making it happen. As time goes by you learn how to create the best possible outcome for both customers and the business.
I’m here to both transform the customer experience and be a source of support to my colleagues
That’s what I’m bringing to the table. That’s how I’ll be making use of my expertise and my experience. And while customer service is my number one priority, a big part of my job is to support my co-workers. I want them to know that I’m someone they can always turn to.
Empathy, positivity, and patience – three things that are essential to customer service and support
Empathy is vital. You have to be able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and try to understand their point of view. Positivity is extremely important. It’s so easy to get weighed down by negativity, but if you can see the positive in every situation – and always be positive with customers – well, you can make amazing things happen.
When it comes to customer service, it’s essential that no shortcuts are taken
And patience. You must be patient. You never know who you may encounter or understand what they’re going through, so being level-headed with every customer and situation is critical.
Creating a stable and efficient customer service team is one of the best things I’ve done
Implementing ideas that have helped me and others deliver the highest quality customer service possible – think exceptional customer satisfaction and retention – makes me feel incredibly proud. It’s an amazing feeling to know that customers and colleagues alike have benefited from some of the initiatives that I’ve come up with and developed in collaboration with others.
Customer service is so important, it makes the world go round
We’re all consumers, and we all need to ask for help at times. So, when it comes to customer service, it’s essential that no shortcuts are taken, that it’s as good as it can be. Because when customer service is done well, there’s nothing like it. Terrible customer service, on the other hand, it can be a wrecking ball. So you always have to be on top of your game.
The future’s SO bright
I’m so excited to see where the customer service and support team at Viddyoze is heading. That’s all I can say at the moment – I can’t let any surprises slip. Sorry! 🤐
A little bit about you
- Go-to emoji: 🤣 (I use it all the time and end up laughing even harder)
- Go-to social media platform: Instagram. I live for the dog videos!
- Tea or coffee: Tea all the way! But it has to be PG Tips with two sugars and milk. Any other option is not acceptable!
- Favourite food: Anything to do with seafood, but if I had to pick one it would have to be Japanese prawn gyoza dumplings with a teriyaki dipping sauce and a hint of soy sauce. Nothing tops it
- Favourite movie: Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I am a MAJOR Audrey Hepburn fan, so it is my instant go-to on a Sunday afternoon
- Favourite book: Definitely a tricky one but I would have to say either The Secret by Rhonda Byrne – as I am a major believer in the law of attraction or – Great Expectations by Charles Dickens’. I have read it at least three times and never get bored
- Favourite quote: “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” (Unknown, African Proverb)
- Who do you admire: Maya Angelou. Her resilience through the trials and tribulations of her life – and being able to convert them into beautiful words that truly display her strength – and her ability to transform negative energy into positive energy is just inspiring
- We’re at a party, your trick is: I can down a pint in less than 10 seconds which shocks people quite a bit🍺